Choosing Devices for VR: Everything a Geek Needs to Know
Virtual reality is one of the most advanced technologies of our time, and VR gadgets of all shapes and
sizes are now on the market – from cardboard glasses to huge helmets. We will tell you what you need to
know if you plan to choose devices for VR.
VR for smartphones
Mobile VR is a gadget thanks to which the image is displayed using a smartphone. Our rating includes
- Google Cardboard. The cardboard box with lenses has a special connector where the phone is
inserted. Such a device can be made independently or purchased plastic glasses at an affordable
price in China. This is the cheapest way to touch virtual reality but don’t expect something
supernatural from it.
- Google Daydream. It is a step above Cardboard. The headset has a fabric base, which is an
advantage in terms of weight and ventilation. The manufacturer supplies Google Daydream with
a controller that allows you to select a menu item or shoot in games. A gadget costs about $30.
Although the device produces a better picture, it doesn’t work with all smartphones but only with
VR for external devices
From smartphones, we move smoothly to a personal computer and set-top box. There is more choice:
- PlayStation VR. To immerse yourself in a virtual world, you will need a camera and controllers.
The viewing angle is 100 degrees, and the image resolution is 960x1080. If you have a PS4, then
you don’t need a powerful PC. And the cost of $400 makes this device even more attractive for
- Oculus Rift. It has an even higher picture resolution (1080x1200) and a viewing angle of 110
degrees. Thanks to full-fledged tracking on an area of 2.5x2.5 meters, thousands of players all
over the world fell in love with it. Among the advantages, we distinguish convenient controllers,
excellent picture quality and a wide selection of games. But wired sensors and the need for a
powerful VR-ready computer are disadvantages.
VR gadgets that dont require other devices
Some devices are still developing, while others have only recently appeared on the market. But everyone
heard about the following ones:
- Lenovo Mirage Solo. It has become a leader among stand-alone devices, based on the Daydream
platform. You don’t need either a PC or a smartphone since the device contains a Seurat
rendering system. The start of sales was announced in 2018, the cost of such a toy is $400.
- HTC Vive Focus. Customers get two controllers in the kit, which bring convenient and intuitive
control in the virtual space. The image resolution is 2160x1200, and the viewing angle is 110
- Oculus Go. It was first introduced in 2017 at the Oculus Connect conference. The kit has a small
controller, but there are no sensors that track the movement and location of the gamer. The
glasses have a high resolution of 2560x1440, as well as a viewing angle of 110 degrees.
- Oculus Santa Cruz will use innovative inside-out tracking technologies. Users will be able to
navigate in space using a wireless method.
Thanks russian girls.com for this post.